2 July 2021> More or less finished slapping paypal btns back up on the site + fixing dead links so Calamari Archive is back in busyness, w/ Lutz as co-librarian. After giving all dbooks away free during the pandemic, we put a paywall back up for most. We gave away well over 10,000 free dbooks during the pandemic, hear's the ruff # of DLs for sum of the books (our stats only show top 10 downloads per month, so there's probly plenty more than this):
- 4ier X-forms—5863 (not inklooting the 4 sub-books that went into it which also were downloaded thousands of times... all 5 remain free to view/download).
- Motorman by David Ohe—1045
- Sister Stop Breathing by Chiara Barzini—744
- 'SSES" 'SSES" "SSEY' vols 0–1—643 (also still free to download)
- Textiloma episode 5—487 (each of the 12 episodes is separate PDF, w/ similar #s of DLs, still free)
- A Raft Manifest—510 (still free)
- Ark Codex ± 0—478 (still free... when we 1st released it, sum 25,000 ppl downloaded it in the first few months)
- The Becoming—303
- Sleepingfish zer0—255 (still free)
- Sleepingfish 0.75—123
- The Red Barn by Nat Baldwin—214
- Stories in the Worst Way by Gary Lutz—206
- Ever by Blake Butler—195
- Divorcer by Gary Lutz—165
- Spiritual Turkey Beggar Baste Mechanism by Sandy Baldwin—163 (the separate Trapezoidal Juggernaut was downloaded a similar # of times, both remain free)
- The Singing Fish by Peter Markus—136
- Mining in Black Hills—122 (still free)
- History of Luminous Motion by Scott Bradfield—121
- City Moon 18—109 (each of the 18 issues downloaded a similar # of times, still free)
+ then there's HTML-based content that's also free, like The Gotham Grammarian + Sleepingfish, speaking of wich, we posted a new piece on Sleepingfish 2020+ (≠ 404), "Begin w/ errror,," by David Greenspan. We also gave away 100s of books + albums in our liebury boox + other book boxes around D.C.
After a 4-day weekend of drinking in NYC, not to mention drinking the remnants of all the hooch folks left at our place after our party a few weeks ago, decided to try a dry July. We a'tempted a dry January 6 months ago but then all hell broke loose in the Capitol + we said fuck it, need to cope, then wanted to celebrate when Biden was confirmed. Also declared we was
gonna lose 5-10 lbs last Jan + maybe we did but we gained it back, now back to ~170+.
3 July 2021> So much for our mid-year resolution... had a bottle of wine last night (it was Friday night + our bedder-½ got a raise so we celebrated). But now there's only 1 bottle left + we won't buy no more after that.
Made sum 3-d art last week, a sort of Cornellish collage:
Mineareye's d-zzz (2021)—mixed media
Speaking of Ménière's, it ain't bin so bad these past few months, despite the drinking + eating salt + all the things the doctor told us not to eat.
Movies weave watched this past week or so:
- California Split (★★★★)—classic Altman gambling movie w/Elliott Gould
- Carnal Knowledge (★★★)—Art Garfunkel actually ain't all that bad + Jack's always Jack
- My Left Foot (★★★★)—don't think we've re-seen this since it came out in theatres
- Waiting for Guffman (★★★★★)—not sure why we haven't seen this before (think we confused it w/ A Mighty Wind, which we wasn't crazy about), but classic Guest/Levy
- Best in Show (★★★★)—another classic Guest/Levy, seen it quite a few times
- Night Moves (★★★)—1979 neo-noir w/ Gene Hackman + a very young Melanie Griffith
- Smooth Talk (★)—only reason we kept watching is cuz it's Laura Dern's 1st film
- Cutter's Way (★★★★)—another neo-noir w/ a young Jeff Bridges + John Heard
- The Crime of the Century(★★★)—HBO documentary about opiod epidemic + the Sackler drug cartel